Friday, July 22, 2005


Terrific Thursdays Book Suggestions

Ok, ok...I know, it is supposed to be Wicked Wednesdays Book Suggestions, but for some strange reason I was under the impression that it was Friday all day long, and then decided at the end of the day I was wrong and that it was Wednesday...Yeah....It's Thursday! You know you LOVE LOVE LOVE your job when you don't even know what day it is anymore (I swear, it's like I'm an Alcholic and I have been drinking for days with the way that logic) But lets not digress...Today's suggestions sans Leslie are:

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams.
This book is so fantastic, the imagination that Douglas Adams possessed is incredible. Now, if you have seen the movie and you are deciding not to read the book because...Well honestly its tough to get through a book when you already know what happened....READ IT ANYWAY! I haven't seen the movie, but from what I hear from people who have read and watched, the book is much much much better, and I must admit I think I would agree because the book is so entertaining. The imagery is amazing...You are really just put into another world. It's hard to describe the feeling one gets, but all I can say is this...When I read this book I felt as though I was in another world and I had very little idea of what was actually going on around me while reading it. GOOD FAST READ!!! Soooooo fun! It's sort of like a grown up Harry Potter.

Now if you have read the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and felt as though you wanted more... (or if you are going to take my suggestion and read it and WILL want more, trust me you will it's so good) the I will have to suggest:

The Ultimate Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams.
This has the original book in it, but also has five others. Each story is unique and it really does not get repetitive. Each story is a totally different adventure in almost always in entirely different world as well (literally...They planet hop!) It's six stories in one and each one is better than the next. If you LOVE adventure and you love make believe this is a MUST read!

The Narrows by Michael Connelly. Now, if you like the show CSI or Law and Order, this is the book for you. This book reads very much like a crime movie (and I really think it should be made into one....Someone should really think about that and then give me some moolah 'cause I suggested it!) It is a very fast read that is really going to have you guessing all the way through. From "Area 51" conspiracies to a serial killer, you wont know what the real story is until you reach the dramatic end. There was NO part of this book that wasn't fast paced. It's a definite page turner and should only take about 3 days to finish.

and last by CERTAINLY not least. Read

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling (A.K.A. The book that has kept me from posting as much as I should) This book (so far) is amazing just like all the rest. Actually you know what...I'm instructing you to read them all if you haven't yet. Although this is a kid series it really does not read like one in the least bit. The magical aspect keeps you imagination running, and the social issues make this book relative to young and old and everyone in every society. We see three children really come of age and go through things that each and every one of us has gone through in our lives, while at the same time traveling through amazing adventure after another with Harry and his friends. 6 books too much to read? Ok I will let you cheat IF YOU MUST....But really it's so worth it to just read them all...But if you must...Watch the 1st and 2nd movie, and then start with the 3rd book. I know that there is a 3rd movie as well, but I feel as though this was the movie that the most book material was left out of. So start with three and read on till six (that should take, honestly, maybe 2 weeks...A month MAX) and then wait FOREVER with me in biting nails anticipation for the seventh (and possibly last :( ) book to come out. This series is a must read for everyone everywhere of all ages. You will not only fly through the books, but when you are finished you will be left with the satisfying feeling of "No, I don't want this to be over!" Although frustrating, it is also the best feeling in the world to have after reading a book!

K...I gotta finish Harry Potter...I'm out y'all! Happy Reading! :)

No comments: