Monday, April 10, 2006

I Guess I Can't Link the Website Without Letting You All In on Some Info



FOLLOWING the massive seven-figure successes of Steve Carell and Stephen Colbert, being a correspondent for "The Daily Show" now seems like comedy's surefire launching pad to stardom. So who's next? Rob Corddry, the brilliantly deranged "senior analyst" and "God Machine" operator, is at the head of the queue, having been cast as the lead of "The Winner," a sitcom pilot for Fox executive produced by "Family Guy" creator Seth MacFarlane.

But "Daily Show" fans needn't wait to see what Corddry can do as a leading man. Thursday night marks the premiere of "Blackballed: The Bobby Dukes Story" at the East Village's Pioneer Theater at Two Boots. The improvised film stars Corddry as a paintball master who attempts a comeback after disgracing his sport by "wiping" (cleaning paint from his uniform) during a match.

The film features appearances by "Daily Show" cohort Ed Helms as well as local Upright Citizen's Brigade favorites like Paul Scheer of "The Best Week Ever" and ex-"SNL" player Rob Riggle.


Q: As you're trained in improv, do you prefer improvised projects to working with scripts?

A: The best thing about doing an improv project is that you don't have to prepare for it. So you don't have any lines to memorize, and you can do it drunk, which I prefer. Then again, if you're in a movie where you have lines, there's most likely catering.

Q: Considering that "The Daily Show" has a large team of writers and a strong personality at the helm, how much creative input do you have?

A: I just had a meeting with Jon where I gave him some notes, then he cried, and I held him for a little bit. So that's my normal day there. No, the field pieces where we interview people are very collaborative. But the studio bits are almost all done by the writers.

Q: Do you ever walk away from one of the interview bits feeling a little guilty?

A: I rarely don't. As time has gone on, I've had less and less of a stomach for it. Sometimes it's satisfying as hell, but sometimes you get the feeling that the person doesn't really understand the show, and is therefore kind of hurt.

Q: Now that you have a lead role in a sitcom, will you be leaving "The Daily Show?"

A: It was just a pilot. I really try to manage my expectations here, because anything can happen. I'm very hopeful that the pilot will be picked up. That being said, I would hate leaving "The Daily Show." That was very political, wasn't it?

Q: It was.

A: That was very diplomatic. I'm really proud of that one.

Q: Tell me about "The Winner."

A: It's a skewed version of "The Wonder Years," in which a 45-year-old man narrates his coming of age that just so happens to be when he's 32 years old.

Q: When you were filming it, did you get a sense of the sort of pressure you'll face as the star of a network show if this gets picked up?

A: Every time I threw up. No, I don't think so, because it plays like an ensemble. The cast is incredible. Lenny Clarke and Julie Hagerty played my parents.

Q: And how cool that Julie Hagerty is back. "Airplane" was big for me.

A: Oh my God. I met her godson, and I had to really stare him in the eyes and say, "Do you know who your godmother is?" "Yeah, it's Aunt Julie." "No! Do you understand that she shaped an entire generation!" I don't think he got it. So I started punching him in the solar plexus. Not hard! I didn't make a mark. His eyes teared up.

Q: Your brother Nate popped up on "The Daily Show" about a year ago, and now he just signed to co-star on the new Aaron Sorkin show. Growing up, was it clear that you shared a love of comedy?

A: No, it was clear that I was his boss and he would do what I said. But he started doing plays in the seventh grade, and he was consistently amazing. And he has a little bit more hair than I do, which is kinda bull - - - -.

Q: When you were younger, did you ever perform together?

A: We were both Eagle Scouts, and we had a yearly "Gong Show" sort of a talent contest, and Nathan and I were the only ones that that took it really, really seriously. Aggressively so. Kind of pathetic. But I don't think we ever did anything together.

Q: You're on "The Daily Show," and you've been on Conan O'Brien, "Curb Your Enthusiasm" and "Arrested Development." What do you consider your funniest TV role?

A: My most satisfying experience would have to have been "Curb Your Enthusiasm." You're not told what you're doing in the scene until five minutes before the cameras roll, and if that sounds difficult, you have Larry David there as your support. But my funniest appearance would probably be that 1-800-CALL-ATT spot with Carrot Top. The ad actually got pulled after 9/11, because Carrot Top commandeers a bus. I'm not saying conspiracy theory, but you be the judge.

Q: What did you think of him?

A: He was - and everybody says this - the nicest guy in the world. But [his body's] cut to shreds. Carrot Top could kick your ass. He is an Adonis. And I think he may have had eyeliner tattooed on. Don't quote me on that - or quote me asking not to be quoted.

Q: I've interviewed him, and found him to be a very nice guy, but really defensive about what he does. He wants to be taken seriously.

A: But who cares - his calves are like stone! It's insane. You know what he said to me, actually. He said, "You do comedy?" I said, "Yeah." And he said, "So you must hate me then." I'm like, "Oh, come on!" So I had to hold him. I said, "Look, buddy, I hate Gallagher. You're growing on me."


Want more info? Click on the BLACKBALLED link on my website. (Hint...it's the one with the tagline...Second place is first place for losers)


just a side note to the director...now is the time to start supporting me as well!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Which night are YOU going to?